March 19, 2012

Women's History Month

People sometimes ask: do we really need annual observances such as African American History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, El día de los niños/El día de los libros, Children's Day/Book Day, International Women's Day and Women's History Month? YES.

Do we see our national diversity when we look at our computer, TV and movie screens? Newspaper and magazine editors and reporters? Publishers' lists, book reviews and reviewers? Politicians and national leaders? Also, our complex national diversity is not yet appropriately recognized and celebrated in the sciences or the arts.

The theme for this year's National Women's  History Month Project is Women's Education: Women's Empowerment. This past week I was asked questions about the role of education in my life. I am a first-generation college graduate, and in answering the questions, I was remnded how grateful I feel and how important it is to motivate girls and young women to invest in themselves. I wrote, " My college education was an important factor in whatever success I’ve had as a parent, teacher, administrator, writer and speaker. For a student interested in new opportunities, a college education can be transformative. It dramatically enriches a life."

 

No comments: